Bachelor of Science in Optometry is a 4-year undergraduate course that deals with eye care. Students study the structural properties, function, diagnostic methods, examination, and treatment of eyes. Optometrists assist ophthalmologists to treat various eye problems like short-sight, long-sight, genetic eye problems, and many other eye-related disorders. They also assist in giving contact lenses and spectacles.
Usually, the course covers 3 years of academic study and one year of internship. This helps in gaining hands-on experience for the aspirants. Optometrists can work in eye hospitals or can open their own clinic. To go big, you can also start manufacturing units of spectacles, contact lens or optical instruments. In India and abroad, there are a good amount of opportunities for Optometrists.
Following are some of the subjects you will study during the course time:
- Human Biology
- Eye Anatomy and Physiology
- Visual Optics
- Contact Lens
- Dispensing Optics
- Basic Biochemistry
- Public Health and Community
- Physical Optics and Practical of Lighting
- Ophthalmic Instruments
- Public Health and Community
- Systemic Disease and Eye
- Geometrical Optics
- Hospital Procedures and Psychology
- Ocular Disease
- Basic Ocular Pharmacology
- Applied Clinical Optometry
- Computer Fundamentals
The eligibility criteria for this course are as follows:
- Students should have cleared Class 10th and 12th with 45% aggregate marks from any recognized College/University.
- Students must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in the 12th class.
- Students should be 17 or above during admission.
- Many colleges take students based on entrance exams like EYECET, AIIMS Exam, JNU Entrance Exam, DU Entrance Test, CMC, etc. Few seats are allotted via 12th marks in colleges.
The survey says, “One in every two children in India need eyeglasses”. Due to the revolution of digital and electronic devices around us, our eyesight gets affected. So the need for specs and contact lenses is increasing day by day. Optometry graduates can work in the manufacturing and distribution of ophthalmic lenses, contact lenses, and ophthalmic instruments. They also can assist ophthalmologists in hospitals and clinics. To go to the next level, they can also run their optical shop. If you like to go into a teaching career, finish M.Sc and Ph.D. programs to work as a lecturer or professor.
B.Sc Optometry Colleges in India
Following are some of the best optometry colleges that offer B.Sc Optometry course:
- M.S Ramaiah Institute of Applied Sciences
- RR Group of Institutions, Bangalore
- Vasan Institute of Ophthalmology and Research
- Jain University, Bangalore
- IIMT Group of Colleges, Agra
- Rama University, Kanpur
- Amity University, Gurgaon
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry
- JSS Medical College, Mysore
The Optometry fee structure ranges from INR 60,000 to 1.3 Lakh per year
A fresher joining work can earn 2 lakh to 4 lakh per annum. Once you get expertise, in the following years you can earn a lot more.
Many job roles are available for an Optometry expert. Some of them are listed below:
- Private Practitioner
- Vision Care Associate
- Optometry Researcher
- Vision Consultant
- Trainee Optometrist