Bachelor of Audiology and Speech language Pathology is a 3-year undergraduate course that teaches methods to cure speech-related disorders. People who suffer from speaking disorder, hearing loss, language disability or swallowing are treated by these professionals. The impairment can be inherent or due to accidental damage like cancer, psychological trauma, stroke or injury.
Usually, the course covers 3 years of academic study and one year of internship. This helps in gaining hands-on experience for the aspirants. Students who are interested in curing pronunciation, language fluency and other communication problems can take up this course. They teach sign language, vocal exercises, and practices that include language and fluency. In India and abroad, there are a good amount of opportunities for Audiologists.
Following are some of the subjects you will study during the course time:
- Basic Acoustic and Electronics
- Neuro-motor Speech Disorders
- Paediatric Audiology
- Adult Neuro-communication Disorders
- Psychology Related to Speech and Hearing
- Clinical Work (Speech Pathology)
- Introduction to Speech and Language Pathology
- Amplification and Assistive Devices for Hearing
- Clinical Work (Speech Pathology)
- Educational Audiology
- Introduction to Audiology
- Voice and Laryngectomy
- Introduction to Linguists
- Diagnostic Audiology
- Fluency and its Disorders
- Rehabilitative Audiology
- Clinical Work (Audiology)
- Childhood Communication Disorders
- Articulation and Phonological Disorders
The eligibility criteria for this course are as follows:
- Students should have cleared Class 10th and 12th with 45% aggregate marks from any recognized College/University.
- Students must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in the 12th class.
- Students should be 17 or above during admission.
- Many colleges and universities take students based on entrance exams like NEET-UG, AIIMS UG, JIPMER UG, GGSIPU UG, PGIMER UG,Manipal University Entrance Exam, etc.
- Few seats are allotted via 12th marks in colleges.
The awareness regarding speech and hearing related problems have increased now. People have a concern to take the patient to a specialist and treat them accordingly. So this course is gazing at a bright future and students can take up without any hesitation. The payscale is also widening and this will definitely be a lucrative career for students. The graduates can work as teachers and therapists in schools, colleges and medical centers. If you like to go into a teaching career, finish M.Sc and Ph.D. programs to work as a lecturer or professor.
B.Sc Audiology and Speech-language Pathology Colleges in India
Following are some of the best Audiology and Speech-language Pathology colleges in India:
- SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Chennai
- Shree Guru Gobind Singh Tricentenary University, Gurgaon
- CMJ University, Shillong
- School of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology, Bharati Vidyapeeth, pune
- Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research Chandigarh
- Guru Gobind Singh Medical College and Hospital, Faridkot
- Osmania University, Hyderabad
- Sri Devaraj Urs Academy of Higher Education and Research, Tamaka
- Global Open University, Dimapur
- Maharashtra University, Nashik
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
- Manipal College of Health Professions, Manipal
The Audiology and Speech language Pathology fee structure ranges from INR 20,000 to 2.5 Lakh per year.
A fresher joining work can earn 2.5 lakh to 5 lakh per annum. Once you get expertise, in the following years you can earn a lot upto 7.5 lakh per annum.
Many job roles are available for an Audiology and Speech language Pathology expert. Some of them are listed below:
- Speech pathologist
- Clinical Supervisor
- Lecturer in Special Schools
- Speech-Language Counsellor
- BASLP Professor
- Audiometry technician
- Speech Pathology Reader