Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology is a 3-year paramedical course that educates students on detecting and treating various health disorders through laboratory tests. The professionals assist doctors in identifying the disorder and also help them in curing it.
Expertise in each procedure is necessary because precision in detecting health disorders is as important as treatment. Because the right diagnosis gives way to the right treatment. Medical laboratory graduates can work in Hospitals, clinics, nursing homes, public health facilities, and commercial laboratories, etc.
Following are some of the subjects you will study during the course time:
- Human Anatomy
- Research and Biostatistics
- Computer Applications
- Ethic & Database Management
- Environmental Science & Health
The eligibility criteria for this course are as follows:
- Students should have cleared Class 10th and 12th with 45% aggregate marks from any recognized College/University.
- Students must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in the 12th class.
- Students should be 17 or above during admission.
- Many colleges and universities take students based on entrance exams like NEST, CUCET, MDUCEE. Few seats are allotted via 12th marks in colleges.
The need for allied health professionals is always enormous as each hospital needs the parallel assistance of clinical labs. The tests done by medical laboratory technicians are Blood test, blood typing, blood pressure test,liver function test, allergy test, urine analysis, malabsorption test, etc. As these tests are taken enormously on a daily basis, the clinical lab professionals are required to work with doctors. The payscale is also pretty decent with a good job security.
BSc Medical Laboratory Technology Colleges in India
Following are some of the best Medical Laboratory Technology colleges in India:
- Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, Karnataka
- SRM Institute of Technology, Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu
- Government Medical College and Hospital, Chandigarh
- Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi, Delhi NCR
- Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- Siksha ‘O’ Anusandhan University, Bhubaneswar, Orissa
- Government Medical College, Kozhikode, Kerala
- Chandigarh University, Chandigarh
- King’s George Medical University, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Lovely Professional University, Punjab
- Amity University, Gurugram
- Gurunanak Dev University, Amritsar
- Impact Paramedical and Health Institute, Delhi
The Medical Laboratory Technology fee structure ranges from INR 10,000 to 1 Lakh per year.
A fresher joining work can earn 3.5 lakh to 6 lakh per annum. Once you get expertise, in the following years you can earn a lot more.
Many job roles are available for a Medical Laboratory Technology expert. Some of them are listed below:
- Hospital Outreach Coordinator
- Laboratory Testing Manager
- Medical Officer
- Laboratory Technician
- Research Associate
- Healthcare Administrator
- Medical Record Technician
- Laboratory Information System Analyst
- Resident Medical Officer
- Laboratory Manager