Bachelor of Science in Radiotherapy is a study on the procedures of radiotherapy which is used for cancer treatment. It follows the process of passing energy on the target cells and the focused energy destroys the cancer cells. It is a 3-year undergraduate course that teaches about radiation therapy and other disorders that can be treated through ionizing radiation.
As cancer treatment is vital and needs expert treating, studying a specialized course like this is an edge. This course teaches you on how to handle the equipment, how to sterilize them and the right method of doing it on the patient. Graduates can work in cancer hospitals and clinics. In addition to that, the course imparts knowledge on how to handle patients who are under stress and pain.
Following are some of the subjects you will study during the course time:
- Interventional in Diagnostic Radiology
- Fundamentals of computer science
- Radiation Hazards and Protection
- Doppler and Echography
- Communication Skills and Personality Development
- Generation and Properties of X-Ray
- General Radiography
- Organizational Behavior
- Anesthesia in Diagnostic Radiology
- Environmental Science
- Human Resource
- Nuclear Medicine and PET Scan
The eligibility criteria for this course are as follows:
- Students should have cleared Class 10th and 12th with 45% aggregate marks from any recognized College/University.
- Students must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in the 12th class.
- Students should be 17 or above during admission.
- Many colleges take students based on entrance exams like NEST, CUCET, MDU CEE etc. Few seats are allotted via 12th marks in colleges.
Radiotherapy process is inevitable in the medical industry as it is super useful in detecting and diagnosing diseases. It is needed in all hospitals and clinics. So the students pursuing this course are on-demand. The payscale is also wide, creating greater chances of a lucrative career. Graduates can work in Diagnostic Labs, Cancer Hospitals, Government & Private Hospitals, Nursing Homes, Medical Healthcare facilities, Public Health Centers, Colleges & Universities, etc.
B.Sc Radiotherapy Colleges in India
Following are some of the best Radio Therapy colleges in India:
- NIMS College of Paramedical Technology, NIMS University
- Nizam’s Institute of Medical Sciences, Hyderabad
- Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik
- King George’s Medical University, Lucknow
- Christian Medical College & Hospital Ludhiana
- Pt. Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Rohtak
- JIPMER, Puducherry
- Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology, Bengaluru
- Apollo Hospital Enterprise Ltd, Chennai
- Kasturba Hospital, Manipal
- Postgraduate institute of medical education and research, Chandigarh
- Regional Cancer Centre, Indira Gandhi Medical college, Shimla
The Radio Therapy fee structure ranges from INR 70,000 to 2 Lakh per year
A fresher joining work can earn 2.5 lakh to 4 lakh per annum. Once you get expertise, in the following years you can earn a lot more.
Many job roles are available for a Radio Therapy expert. Some of them are listed below:
- Radiotherapy Technologist/Radiographer
- Radiology Assistant
- Radiology Technician
- Ultrasound Technician
- Diagnostic Medical Sonographer
- Radiology Nurse
- CAT Scan Technologist
- MRI Technician
- CT Scan Technologist