Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Care technology is a 4-year undergraduate course that deals with respiratory problems and cardiopulmonary disorders. The purpose of this course is to give training to students in analyzing and diagnosing respiratory-related diseases.
Usually, the course covers 3 years of academic study and one year of internship. This helps in gaining hands-on experience for the aspirants. Different disorders need different equipment and setups to diagnose. This course gives clarity and makes them familiar with all the processes involved. In India and abroad, there are a good amount of opportunities for Respiratory Care technology.
Following are some of the subjects you will study during the course time:
- Respiratory Diseases
- Respiratory Technology
- Respiratory Therapy Techniques
- Diagnostic Methods for Cardiopulmonary Diseases
- Respiratory Technology
- Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
- Respiratory Care Equipment
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Microbiology and Pathology
- Life Support System
- Applied Pharmacology and Pathology
The eligibility criteria for this course are as follows:
- Students should have cleared Class 10th and 12th with 45% aggregate marks from any recognized College/University.
- Students must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in the 12th class.
- Students should be 17 or above during admission.
- Many colleges take students based on entrance exams like All India Entrance Examination for Admission, Madhya Pradesh Pre Agriculture Test , Lovely Professional University National Eligibility and Scholarship Test , etc. Few seats are allotted via 12th marks in colleges.
Respiratory care technicians are required to diagnose, monitor and track records of the patient. Government hospitals, clinics, institutes, and NGOs employ Respiratory technicians for good pay scale. If you like to pursue higher studies, M.Sc and Ph.D. programs to work as a lecturer or professor.
B.Sc Respiratory Care technology Colleges in India
Following are some of the best Respiratory Care technology colleges in India:
- AIIMS Delhi
- Armed forces Medical College, Pune
- St.Xaviers college, Mumbai
- CMC Vellore, TamilNadu
- Madras Medical College, Chennai
- Sri Devaraj Urs Academy of Higher Education and Research (SDUAHER), Kolar
- Sri Ramachandra Medical College & Research Institute, Chennai
- Tirunelveli Medical College, Tirunelveli
- Tamil Nadu Dr MGR Medical University, Chennai
- NIMS Medical College, NIMS University, Jaipur
- Manipal College of Health Professions, Manipal
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
The Respiratory Care technology fee structure ranges from INR 50,000 to 2 Lakh per year
A fresher joining work can earn 2 lakh to 15 lakh per annum. Once you get expertise, in the following years you can earn a lot more.
Many job roles are available for a Respiratory Care technology expert. Some of them are listed below:
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation Specialist
- Respiratory Therapist
- Consultant Respiratory Therapist
- Product Manager
- Product Specialist
- Clinical Respiratory Therapist