Chemical Engineering course is a 4-year Undergraduate Engineering course that is learnt in 8 semesters. Chemical Engineering is not exclusively about Chemistry but also about Physics and Mathematics. Not all chemical engineers work on rigorous chemical processes. Chemical Engineering also deals with designing the equipment and the processes in a factory/plant with all safety and protection. In short, chemical engineers plan and take the steps to transform a laboratory-level process into a big industry-level project.
Chemical Engineering is an intense stream that needs a great understanding of the concepts and precise application. So, choosing the best college that can equip all the necessary requirements for an efficient study is important.
In the first year, you will learn Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Thermodynamics, Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Material Science. These subjects were included to gain a foundation of basics. From the second year, you will learn the main chemical engineering subjects like below:
- Material Science
- Engineering and Solid Mechanics
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Engineering Graphics
- Engineering Workshop
- Computers Lab (Programming for Problem Solving)
- Mass Transfer -I
- Mass Transfer –II
- Chemical Reaction Engineering – I
- Transport Phenomena
- Fluid Mechanics
- Heat Transfer
- Material and Energy Balance Computations
- Chemical Reaction Engineering – II
- Numerical Methods in Chemical Engineering
- Particle and Fluid-Particle Processing
- Process Technology and Economics
- Chemical Engineering Lab – I
- Renewable Energy
- Water Conservation and Management
- Sustainability Engineering
- Optimization Methods
- Polymer Science and Engineering
- Interfacial Engineering
- Environmental Pollution and Control
- Advanced Separation Processes
- Process Control
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
To study Chemical Engineering, you must qualify for certain eligibility. Those are as follows:
- Students must have passed Class 12th with Physics, Chemistry, and Computer Science.
- The candidate must have reached the age of 17 during admission.
- For particular colleges, you must clear JEE Main or any other Entrance Exam for admission.
- To join as a lateral entry, you must have completed a diploma degree in the relevant field.
Many colleges accept students directly based on 12th-grade scores or through the Management quota. Some colleges conduct their own entrance exam to select the students.
Chemical Engineering has pervaded every sector of our real life. It is an ever-growing industry and there is no sight of a fall in the future. Especially in India, it is growing tremendously as chemical advancements are gaining its feet. There are both government and private-sector jobs. The fields include Oil, fertilizer, food and food processing industry, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology firms, chemical plants, petroleum refineries, chemical writing, core consultants, college lecturer, etc.
Best Colleges for Chemical Engineering in India
There are plenty of Engineering colleges in India recognized by AICTE that offer Chemical Engineering degree courses. You can find the top colleges for Chemical Engineering in India below:
- IIT Delhi
- BITS Pilani
- IIT Madras
- University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- RV College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Anna University, Chennai
- SDM College of Engineering and Technology, Dharwad
- BMS College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Manipal Institute of Technology, Karnataka
- MVJ College of Engineering, Bangalore
- PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
- Bapuji Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur
Studying Chemical Engineering will portray a crystal clear picture of the world. You get to know how natural processes happen. Like ‘Why do you sweat when it is so hot?’, ‘Why don’t you suffocate in a closed room and how air is accessible on an equal measure’. You will get the reasons and the know-how behind them. These are on the primary level. Going forward, there will be many revelations on an advanced level which will make the whole course an exciting one.
The Chemical Engineering course fee ranges from ₹4 to 10 Lakhs.
Many big companies hire Chemical graduates every year. Few chemical engineering companies in India are as follows:
- Tata Chemicals
- Reliance Industries Limited
- HPCL-Mittal Energy Limted (HMEL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- Grasim industries Limited (Aditya Birla Group)
- Bharat Petroleum (BPCL)
- Engineers India Limited (EIL)
- Gas Authority Of India Limited (GAIL)
- Steel Authority India Limited (SAIL)
- Chambal fertilizers Limited
- Hindustan Petroleum (HPCL)
- Nayara Energy ( Previously Essar oil)
- National Fertilizers Limited (NFL)
- Hindustan Unilever Limited (HUL)
- Bharat Oman Refineries Ltd (BORL)
- Project Development India Limited (PDIL)
- Asian Paints