The Master of Pharmacy in Pharmaceutical Chemistry imparts knowledge to students in various aspects of drug design, testing, development, safe and effective use of drugs/medicines, and drug delivery systems. The study of Pharmaceutical Chemistry includes analytical techniques, Synthetic Organic Chemistry, the intersection of Chemistry and Quality Assurance.
A graduate simply doesn’t work in a pharmacy but focuses on areas of research that are not related to customer service. A pharmaceutical scientist not only invents a drug but also saves one’s life through their invention.
The course involves both practical and theoretical forms of studies. The field of pharmaceutical analysis is very active. The course is an interdisciplinary study, including biology, engineering, and technological concepts. Also developing techniques for procuring, designing, and evaluating various kinds of drugs and drug delivery systems.
M.Pharm in Pharmaceutical Chemistry is a 2-year course divided into 4 semesters.
- Modern Pharmaceutical Analytical Techniques
- Advanced Organic Chemistry
- Advanced Medicinal Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Process Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Practical
- Research Process
- Modern Pharmaceutical Analytical Techniques Practical
- Advanced Spectral Analysis
- Advanced Organic Chemistry- II
- Computer-Aided Drug Design
- Chemistry of Natural Products
- Novel Technologies and Drug Regulatory Affairs
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry Practical II
- Seminar II
- Research Project Audit
As for other master’s courses, to take admissions in M.Pharm Pharmaceutical Chemistry course, the candidate;
- Must have graduated with a B.Pharm degree with an aggregate mark of 50%.
- The admission process remains quite simple, as almost every college and university takes admission on merit based on the score secured in respective entrance exams and undergraduate degree. Some of the popular entrance exams for the course are;
The field of Pharmaceutical Chemistry allows one to collaborate with microbiologists, biologists, bio-pharmacologists, theoretical chemists, etc. Having a strong background in organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry can help one to stay in the competition.
It opens doors to gainful careers in biotechnology, drug development, research facilities, pharmaceutical companies, and more. The course is beneficial as graduates can get jobs in the central and state government departments- the Health Protection Branch of the Department of Health and Welfare, the Pest Control Division of Agriculture, the Department of National Defence, Provincial Research Councils, and the Provincial Departments of Agriculture or the Environment.
The degree course provides a good and solid base for higher degree programs in respective subjects, e.g. M.Phil. & Ph.D. They can open their own clinics and private hospitals.
Top colleges B. Pharm. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, New Delhi
- Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai
- JSS College of Pharmacy, Mysore
- Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- Bombay College of Pharmacy, Mumbai
- JSS College of Pharmacy, Ooty
- Poona College of Pharmacy, Pune
- Amrita School of Pharmacy
- College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Mahuda
- Bharatiya Vidyapeeth, Pune
If you are looking for higher studies after completing an M.Pharm. In
Pharmaceutical Chemistry, you can go for advanced course like;
- Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- M.Phil. in Pharmaceutical Chemisrty
Popular job roles are;
- Quality Control and Testing
- Regulatory Affairs
- Medical Underwriting
- Clinical Trial
Some of the most popular recruits for M.Pharm. Pharmaceutical
- Sun Pharma