M.Pharm in Pharmacognosy is a postgraduate course that includes imparting the desired knowledge on plant and marine sources that acts as a source of new and natural drugs. Many of the customers today prefer plant-derived medicine to any other synthetic-containing product.
Pharmacognosy involves the identification, physicochemical characterization, cultivation, extraction, preparation, quality control, and biological assessment of drugs. Pharmaceutical companies use the method of pharmacognosy to develop new drugs for the treatment of human disease. It is difficult to produce naturally occurring drugs in bulk, hence it is practiced to find an alternative to these natural substances by making some artificial modifications.
The course includes the study of secondary metabolites that includes phenolic compounds, glycosides, terpenoids, and phytosterols that are derived from nature, inclusive of plants as well as terrestrial and marine animals and microbes. The course comprises mainstream subjects like chemistry, physiology, and biomedical science
The two-year postgraduate program is divided into four semesters that include the Basis of Drug Action, Biotechnology, Biostatistics, Drug Metabolism, Biomaterials, and more. The M.Pharm Pharmacognosy syllabus is as follows;
- General Pharmacognosy
- Experimental Pharmacognosy
- Chemotherapy of Parasitic and Microbial Infections
- Separation Techniques
- Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- Fundamentals of Intellectual Property and Technology Management
- Biotechnology in Pharmaceutical Sciences
- General Lab Experience
- Drug Metabolism
- Pharmacological Screening and Assays
- CNS and Respiratory Pharmacognosy
- Autacoid and Endocrine Pharmacognosy
- Clinical Pharmacognosy and Regulatory Toxicology
- Biopharmaceutics and Pharmacokinetics
- General Lab Experience in the Area of Specialization
- Presentation of thesis
Eligibility criteria for M.Pharm Pharmacognosy are that one must hold a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy (4 years after 10+2, including lateral entry students or equivalent from a recognized university).
To get into a prestigious institution, one must take up national-level or state-level entrance tests like,
- GPAT- Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test
- NIPER JEE- National Institute Of Pharmaceutical Education and Research Joint Entrance Examination
- OJEE- Odisha Joint Entrance Examination
Pharmacy is a wide field. As new diseases are found from time to time, the demand for drugs and drug specialists, and quality control officers is increasing. After completing post-graduation, if one wants to do research work, they can apply for Ph.D. or Integrated Ph.D. courses or M. Tech in Pharmaceutical Technology. Placements after the completion of such courses give a secure future. After completing a Ph.D., one can join as a professor in a reputed institution.
Government organizations such as the institutes of health, food, and drug administration hire candidates with a master’s degree in pharmacognosy. These candidates have a chance to join as researchers and developers in biomedical, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology fields.
Top recruiting pharmacy companies include Ranbaxy, Novartis, Cipla, and more. An experienced person can get up to 20 lakh depending on the job profile.
Top Colleges M.Pharm Pharmacognosy in India
Best colleges for M.Pharm in Pharmacognosy are;
- Jamia Hamdard University, Delhi
- INSTITUTE OF CHEMICAL TECHNOLOGY, Mumbai
- MANIPAL COLLEGE OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES, Manipal
- BOMBAY COLLEGE OF PHARMACY, Mumbai
- JSS COLLEGE OF PHARMACY, Tamil Nadu
- INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Varanasi
- MAHARAJA SAYAJIRAO UNIVERSITY OF BARODA, Gujrat
- BIRLA INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY, Rachi
- RASHTRASANT TUKADOJI MAHARAJ NAGPUR UNIVERSITY, Nagpur
Some of the most popular career options in M.Pharm Pharmacognosy includes;
- Industrial Pharmacist
- Hospital and Community Pharmacist
- Sales and Distribution Executive
- Academics Pharmacist
The average fee is from INR 1-3 lakhs.
Employing areas are;
- Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Food, and Cosmetic Industries.
- Drug Research Laboratories and Institutions
- Universities and Colleges offering the post of Lecturer and Assistant Professor
- Drug Control Administration
- Hospitals and Retail Pharmacies
- National Defense