M.Pharm in Pharmacology is a 2-year postgraduate course that involves drugs, their properties, knowledge of using the latest techniques in drug formation and usage, and biological, biochemical, and psychological effects of drugs on living organisms.
The course is taught in two divisions: Pharmacodynamics – the study of the impact of drugs, Pharmacokinetics – the study of the movement of drugs inside the body. The job will be of research type and you will be studying about various drugs, how to formulate them and practical knowledge of drug production. One can get a job in preclinical and clinical testing of drugs in research labs and hospital units.
Following are some of the subjects you will study during the course time:
- Natural Products and Herbal Medicines
- Molecular Pharmacology
- General Principles of Pharmacology and Pharmacokinetic
- Modern Analytical Technique
- Pharmacological Screening and Bioassay
- Drug Interactions Toxicology and Immunology
- Pharmacology of Drug for Special Population Dermal and Ocular System
- Research Methodology and Pharmacological Screening
- Advanced Communication Skills
- Conflict Resolution and Management
- Self-development and Interpersonal Skills
- Foreign Business Language
- Clinical Trials and Healthcare Policies
- Electrophysiology of Brain, Heart, Muscle and Sense Organs
- Fundamentals of Medical and Scientific Writing
- Drug Regulatory Affairs Intellectual Property Rights and Bioethics
The eligibility criteria for this course are as follows:
- Students should have completed a Bachelor’s degree in Pharma with 50% marks from any recognized College/University.
- Students should have cleared Class 10th and 12th with 45% aggregate marks from any recognized University.
- Students must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology in the 12th class.
- Students should be 17 or above during admission.
- Many colleges take students based on entrance exams. Few seats are allotted via 12th marks in colleges.
There are a plethora of job opportunities in the different domains like research, manufacturing, sales and marking of drugs. Pharmacology graduates can work in the clinical and preclinical tests, R & D department of any organization or hospital. They can work in the healthcare industry, pharmaceutical industry, food industry, cosmetic industry,etc. Government hospitals, clinics, institutes, and NGOs employ Pharmacology graduates for good pay scale. If you like to pursue higher studies, you can pursue a Ph.D. program.
M. Pharm Pharmacology Colleges in India
Following are some of the best Pharmacology colleges in India:
- Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, New Delhi
- JSS College of Pharmacy, Mysore
- Jamia Hamdard, New Delhi
- Al-Ameen College of Pharmacy, Bangalore
- PSG College of Pharmacy, Coimbatore
- GJU Hisar – Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology
- Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal
- SRM College of Pharmacy, Kattankulathur
- University Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Chandigarh
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
- Dayananda Sagar University, Bangalore
- ISF College of Pharmacy, Moga
- Government Pharmacy College, Bangalore
The Pharmacology fee structure ranges from INR 90,000 to 6 Lakh per year
A fresher joining work can earn 3 lakh to 10 lakh per annum. Once you get expertise, in the following years you can earn a lot more.
Many job roles are available for a Pharmacology expert. Some of them are listed below:
- Biomedical Scientist
- Analytical Chemist
- Clinical Research Associate
- Research Scientist
- Healthcare Scientist